When Life Gets in the Way of Well-Being: EAP & Work-Life Management as a Prerequisite to Health
Traditional “transactional” health care often concentrates on the closure of gaps in care, with secondary attention to emotional and life issues. This session introduces the idea that resolution of EAP and work-life issues is an essential component of health care delivery, without which other health and wellness services are less likely to succeed.
Novartis is piloting an innovative program called “Well-Being @ Novartis” in their flagship campus in East Hanover, N.J. The site features on-site primary care, nutritional counseling, behavioral health assessment, eye care, physical therapy and pharmacy services, Well-Being @ Novartis offers an approach that combines the high-touch care of physicians, nurses, and counselors, with assessment and referral for both medical and behavioral health / work-life needs.
As the entry point to the services a “Health Navigator” completes an assessment based on the question “What is important to you?” Engaging the patient in this way opens the door to social and moral incentives and introduces services such as EAP counseling and work-life consultation at the outset. This empathetic approach may improve employee engagement in health and wellness activities, health improvement and overall well-being.
Attendees will learn how to:
- Assess employees’ behavioral health and work-life needs, using existing data as well as surveys
- Review points of access to care and opportunities for intervention and providing additional resources
- Benchmark and track results in terms of program participation, resolution of issues and reduced overall costs
The Certified Corporate Wellness Specialist® is a certification of expertise offered by the Corporate Health & Wellness Association (CHWA). The certification requires 10 Modules of training/classes and can be completed either in-person at a CHWA event or online.
In order to maintain certification after the required training, Certified Corporate Wellness Specialists® must complete five hours per year of continuing education credits to stay up-to-date with industry best-practices and standards.
Becoming a Certified Corporate Wellness Specialist® provides you with a competitive edge in the industry by demonstrating to employers and colleagues that you:
- Possess the training and knowledge to successfully implement and manage a wellness program
- Understand best practices in wellness programs
- Comprehend the different types of wellness programs and learn how to tailor one to meet the needs of your specific corporate culture
- Demonstrate that you are up to date with current best practices on an ongoing basis through continuing education credits required for re-certification
- Possess the qualifications and abilities for job promotion and career enhancement
- Lectures 9
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 8 hours
- Skill level All level
- Language English
- Students 273
- Assessments Yes
- Corporate Wellness 101
- Developing a Corporate Wellness Culture – Everything You Need to Know in Five Words
- Communicate Well; It’s Not Just What You Say, But How You Say It!
- What I Got Right From Failing at Corporate Wellness
- Making Dollars & Sense Out of Wellness Incentives ~ A Candid Industry Discussion
- What is Technology’s Role in Boosting Employee Engagement in Well-Being?
- Navigating the Legal Landmines & EEOC in Corporate Wellness
- When Life Gets in the Way of Well-Being: EAP & Work-Life Management as a Prerequisite to Health
- Engaging the Generations ~ What makes us Tick? A look at Millennials and More!